Monday, September 28, 2009

Story of a cover


Dolmen is a Spanish comic-book magazine that has made me an interview for its next issue, it will appear at the same time as the Spanish edition of New Avengers: The Reunion and I wanted to highlight that making them a cover with Ronin and Mockingbird, here the story from the sketches to the final version.

First, a rough sketch, something tiny to focus the idea of what you want. In the beginning I didn't have clear what to do, so I asked Jim MacCann for an idea, his is the idea of seeing them trough a sniper riffle.

Once I knew what to do, another sketch, to have a clear image of the characters.

Then see if it works...

And then I can go for a final sketch.

I didn't like Ronin's pose so I repeated it.

Final pencils.

At this moment I did this marker sketch to see the volumes and not getting lost while coloring. It's nothing I use to do, but I already told you about my new toys...

Inked cover, see that Ronin's sword is behind Mockingbird now, it was too artificial.

Colored version, it looks better with the crosshairs.

Final version with the logo and everything... It looked good, but I wanted more. I don't use to do this, but I felt there was need for a change, Mockingbird wasn't working as I wanted, too artificial too.

I printed the lineart in blue and redrew her arm, something more martial.

A little bit of computer magic...

And the cover is final and OK and don't touch it anymore!

2 comments:

  1. Kudos, David. A fantastic work. I like a lot this kind of making off. I hope you post more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. es una gozada ver los pasos y la Ilustración se sale!!! mi enhorabuena!! un saludo

    ReplyDelete